Tricking your kids into healthy eating!

Getting kids to eat anything healthy can sometimes be a chore in itself. Our kids aren't the pickiest in the world but they sometimes can be hard to convince to eat a vegetable over something else. 
So I was was grocery shopping at Kroger and saw something in the freezer section I absolutely had to try. My kids LOVE slushies. They would drink them 5 times a day if I bought them. 

Dole Fruit and Veggie mix was so easy to make, absolutely delicious, and my kids begged me for another "slushie".
The instructions "recommend" apple juice, which I did buy, but I had the V8 at home already and figured it would taste awesome with the fruit and veggie combination and it did!
Nice size chunks of the fruit and veggies. Obviously they are frozen, so no need to add ice or anything.
I use a Ninja to blend it together. My mom got this for a Christmas gift one year and it is an amazing little machine! We have used it to puree baby food, make smoothies and milkshakes and so much more!
Admittedly, I didn't measure the juice. I just eyeballed it (and ended up adding more lol) but basically make it to your own consistency! I made my a little thinner than an actual smoothie may be but I was also going to be giving some to a one year old in a sippy cup.
This was a little thicker than I wanted it so I added a little more juice and buzzed it again. Notice the beautiful color it maintains.
Much better consistency! I poured 3 glasses and a sippy cup and there was enough left in the blender for each of the kids to have seconds!
Fun color changing straws, because they were on sale for $0.79 and basically I am just cool like that.

And for my baby girl I added a little bit more juice to her cup and then shook it really well to make it easier to drink through the spout.

The taste was out of this world. It was sweet but not overwhelmingly so. It was not chunky, and it was a nice healthy quantity of fruits and vegetables to start their day off with. Each one of the little kids loved it (oldest wasn't home at the time but she would have loved it too!) and begged for more. All in all, it only took about 4-5 minutes to make. There is probably no easier way to sneak some health into your childs diet!


Please feel free to join our Facebook Group: Mom and Dads 2 Cents










Comments